The Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, Michigan, in 1911. Local businessman Charles A. Berkey is credited with the founding of this great organization. At his suggestion, the name “Exchange” was selected because the group wanted to exchange ideas and information with like-minded individuals about how to better serve their communities. Eventually, three more clubs in the Midwest were formed, and these four clubs were the first to be chartered by The National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917. Today, the Exchange is a national organization of over 20,000 members organized into 650 chapters or “clubs” which span the continental United States and Puerto Rico.
Exchange Clubs sponsor activities under the organization’s Programs of Service, including Youth Programs and Community Service – as well as its National Project, the prevention of child abuse. Exchange is “America’s Service Club”. From the organization’s earliest days, Exchange Clubs have been selflessly serving their communities. The diverse array of Exchange-sponsored programs and projects has made a considerable impact on America, enhancing the lives of countless men, women, and children across the nation. Club membership represents the diversity of modern American life, with businesspeople, professionals, retirees, homemakers, students and any and all others whom share a desire to give back to their community.
Exchange’s National Headquarters is located in Toledo, Ohio, where the staff’s primary objective is to help Exchange Clubs realize their full potential of community service.